I’m certain that, by now, you’ve become accustomed to Tom’s moaning (or critique...however you deem appropriate). Luckily for you, it’s my turn to take hold of the reviewing reigns. I can’t promise that I won’t have the occasional opinionated groan, but I guarantee they’ll be justified and, most importantly, correct. That aside, Tom began with a rather misleading introduction to his top ten favourite films and I thought it would only be sensible to follow suit, minus ten films. Much to my regret, I realise that I’ve ignored the first three rules of writing for an audience: don’t start without thorough research, don’t waffle, and don’t write on an empty stomach. If you’re already familiar with our podcast, which I encourage you visit if not, then you’ll be well aware that we’re no stranger to waffle. In fact, we could probably feed a whole village with the amount we produce (although I wouldn’t advise doing that unless you’re a world class pastry chef, or Bob Geldof...). And there you go, clear evidence that I should’ve eaten earlier. Oh well, I’m sure it won’t affect much…

10. “Would you like to order some drinks?” – About Time (Curtis, 2013)

credit
Without a shadow of a doubt, this is my favourite Richard Curtis film. That being said, he has only directed three movies to date, but if I were to include his written work then I’d pick my other favourites to be Love Actually and Four Weddings and a Funeral. He’s somewhat lost his way recently and can’t seem to ink that magic formula we’re so used to – resulting in uninspired carbon copies of his most basic idiosyncrasies. “Curtisisms” if you will. About Time, however, has plenty of charm and wit; it is quintessentially British. Both Domhnall Gleeson and Rachel McAdams bring a wonderful, contemporary take on Curtis’ familiar awkward humour. They have a delightful on-screen chemistry that perfectly highlights the joys, and struggles, of the modern-day young couple. My favourite performance though is Bill Nighy – an actor who has only ever played one character in his lifetime: Bill Nighy. He is, as ever, very cool. Of course, the strongest aspect is the script, expertly embedding a unique time travel romp into a timeless rom-com. This film will be a classic for years to come.


9. “Soup-er Food” – The Incredibles (Bird, 2004)

credit
There’s a very specific group of people born in the late 90’s/early 00’s (the year not the age) that will tell you that this was the best animated film from their childhood, me included. This, then, became my reason for including it on my top ten list. Nostalgia. That being said, it’s a great film! Set in post- “glory days” Metroville, there’s just the right amount of action, comedy, and that Samuel L. Jackson Frozone scene. The stylised visuals are spot on in encapsulating the noir tones of the first act. The character designs, in particular, are almost caricature-esque which not only ups the comedy, but emphasises their personality/power traits. I personally like Bomb Voyage: a mime-like French villain who, oddly enough, can be spotted in a scene from Ratatouille! More on that later…

8. “Marmalade Sandwiches” – Paddington 2 (King, 2017)

credit
I’ll cut straight to it: the last two minutes of this movie are the greatest two minutes ever to be put on the big screen. Change my mind. Hugh Grant is outstanding and gives my favourite performance of his – a washed-up, camp as Christmas actor who just wants to perform a one man musical. Don’t we all? I’m pleasantly surprised to see the actor that Grant has become in recent years...a sort of Hugh renaissance period. Ben Wishaw has perfected the famous bear’s voice and brings a charming, heart-warming aspect to this family favourite. Both steal every scene they’re in. In fact, their chemistry is so good that it took me a while to adjust to Russel T Davies’ A Very British Scandal… there’s not a marmalade sandwich in sight, yet its plot is just as sticky. A sneaky favourite part of mine showcases the comedic chops of Horrible Histories favourite Simon Farnaby (who also co-wrote with Paul King). Paddington 2 will never fail to make me smile and I’m sure it won’t be moving from this list for a while.

7. “Meatloaf” – Misery (Reiner, 1990)

credit
One of the greatest (Best Actress winning) performances ever. This is both my favourite Stephen King book and film adaptation (I’m not as vanilla as Tom is with The Shawshank Redemption). Misery is a dangerous watch in more ways than one. Firstly, if you’re not one for gore, it could be an issue. It isn’t so much blood that’s an issue, but one particular scene where Kathy Bates breaks both of an already bedridden James Caan’s legs, you can’t help but flinch. Adding onto that, you’ll spend the majority of the film holding your breath so I’d recommend you keep a spare oxygen tank and access to the emergency services whilst you watch! A sympathetic antagonist, Bates’ Annie Wilkes delivers gem after gem, each time zanier – borderline psychotic, until a halfway reveal makes us question if we really do feel sorry for her. Me, I’m still not sure. I guess I’ll just have to watch it again.

6. “Mint Julep” – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019)

credit
Knocking Inglorious Basterds from the top spot, this two and a half hour “what if” explores the Hollywood industry during the rise in popularity of the tv cowboy due to the so called “Spaghetti Westerns”, and the fall of one of the most unsettling and disturbing murders in our history. Margot Robbie excellently portrays actress Sharon Tate who, with several others, was horrifically killed in her own home by members of the Manson Family. Of course, typical Tarantino, *SPOILER ALERT* this doesn’t happen – leading to one of the most haunting endings I’ve seen. There is another two hours to mention, however. For me, Brad Pitt steals the film. He’s incredibly laid back – effortlessly delivering his lines. I adore everything about this film, from the performances to the production design to the attention to detail in camera trickery. It really does make you want to go back to the 60s.

5. “Ratatouille” – Ratatouille (Bird, 2007)

credit
Another great reason to travel back to the 60s is to witness the events of the greatest Disney Pixar film that is or will ever be. In fact, both The Incredibles and Ratatouille supposedly occur in the year 1962 AND both are directed by Brad Bird AND both are in my top ten list. Coincidence? I think not. What I would’ve payed to see the writers attempt to sell a plot consisting of a young French man whose limbs can be controlled by a culinary competent rodent by tugging on his ginger curls – and people say the matrix movies are far-fetched! The music is deliciously jazzy and really spices up the colourful cooking montages. A special mention to the Ratatouille Wii game (the very first I owned). Really great stuff.

4. “Hedgehog Goulash” – Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Ritchie, 2011)

credit
Following from the success of the excellent first film, Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law return do deliver an even better second. Not many sequels manage to better their predecessor, but this example certainly does. The introduction of Holmes’ infamous arch-enemy Professor Moriarty is a genius decision. The action is fast paced yet still manages to discombobulate the viewer, offering a puzzling plotline that I’m sure Conan Doyle would have taken pleasure in deciphering. I’ve been eagerly awaiting a promised third film for nearly ten years now but unfortunately Downey has been busy flying around in his metal three-piece. Hopefully, he’s realised that donning a questionable Welsh accent and communicating to a boat full of animals wasn’t the best career choice and will return to give us the send-off we deserve.

3. “Vodka Martini” – Skyfall (Mendes, 2012)

credit
A weathered, out of practice 007. A camp rendition of Anton Chigurh. Albert Finney wielding a double-barrelled shotgun. Judi Dench shouting “take the bloody shot”. My favourite Bond.

2. “Chunky Monkey” – Hot Fuzz (Wright, 2007)

credit

I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that I quote this movie daily. By far, the best of Edgar Wright’s Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy. However, unlike its vanilla namesake, this fast-paced buddy cop thriller is constantly slapping you in the face with gag after gag. Pegg and Frost demonstrate their brilliant comedic chemistry by adorning the traditional format of straight man and stooge. Timothy Dalton is also superb, bringing to life the self-assured supermarché overlord. Again, this film provided my school years with many-a-laugh; it still continoues to me smile to this day. I loom forward to what the boys have in store for us in the future, but I think they’ll struggle to beat Edward Woodward fretting over a human statue. On the plus side, as far as statue’s go, I think Ed’s bee exposed to worse…


1. "Any seconds?” – Back to the Future (Zemeckis, 1995)

credit


Well if you’ve made it this far, congratulations. And if you haven’t… I hate you. Moving on, Robert Zemeckis is one of my favourite directors. I adore the quirky flare he sprinkles onto all of his movies; they all feel timelessly contemporary. Like a polite Alan Sugar, he’s always looking out for the next big technological device to deliver narrative. Nowadays, he’s a fan of motion capture which has led to the creation of my all-time favourite Christmas
The Polar Express. This technique, however, isn’t an automatic recipe for success as Spielberg should’ve learnt from The BFG. Poor Mark Rylance’s dithering giant still thought he was driving a rescue boat to Dunkirk. A very confused film. That aside, Back to the Future is great! Time travel is my favourite genre as it offers so many plot directions without being too limiting and even if you are limited, it strengthens and enriches the story. Special mention to Thomas F. Wilson (Biff Tannen) for being the perfect comedy antagonist in all three movies!

So, there you go. An insight into why you might hear me yell “any luck catching those swans yet” at a very inconvenient time. Do let me know if you share any of the same favourite films as me and why, it’s interesting to learn the weird and wonderful stories and memories that people associate with certain movies! 

-Will Leggetter