I write this review in the total knowledge that I have enjoyed every single Charlie Kaufman film I’ve ever seen abundantly more on a second and third watch, and many times after those times. With the exceptions of Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Adaptation, all works where Kaufman’s scripts were brought to the screen by directors other than himself (for example by Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry), it has taken multiple watches for me to actually declare them as films that I enjoy. Each virgin viewing of the films was met with an abundance of moments where I was overwhelmed with the immense quality of what I was watching, but surrounding those moments were lengthy stretches where I was genuinely considering whether or not what I was viewing was something that I would ever want to watch again. I say all of this because I do feel that I will enjoy I’m Thinking of Ending Things (the third film Kaufman has directed, again from his own script) a lot more on a second watch, where the mysteries of the film will make themselves less obtuse after a viewing of the film in its entirety. 

There is much to be said about the kind of film where enjoyment is moderate and surface level on an initial viewing, and whether or not a film that elicits such a reaction is worthy of praise or on a kind of pedestal. However, this review is written by somebody who loves Charlie Kaufman, hates meandering films, despises indulgence, adores the cast and finds himself remarkably confused about what he feels about the film. To put it plainly, I’m trying to excuse the lack of preciseness in the writing. I could, of course, have made this a comment on Kaufman’s labyrinthine film, but such would be the tactic of a lazy writer failing to admit that he doesn’t exactly know how to structure or talk about a film that he has been thinking about non-stop for the past five days.  

Charlie Kaufman Explains I'm Thinking of Ending Things | IndieWire
credit

The film’s basic plotline follows a young woman as she travels with her boyfriend Jake to meet his family. The evening, however, swiftly descends into a devastating exploration of the woman’s mind and the interiority of her boyfriend. An exploration of their relationship and a complex view of a lonely man’s life. All of this is quite simple in practice, but in the hands of Kaufman becomes an intense dissection of integrity. The film’s surface level remains with us only for so long, before the script takes its first of many dives into regions desperately perplexing in their nature. 

Spoilers for the film are a very delicate thing here, as so much can be down to own interpretation and in many ways I could just be spoiling my own vision of what the film means. All the same I will keep the plot details from now on to a minimum, for I do feel it is best viewed in complete isolation and knowing as little as possible. It was only earlier today that I recommended the film to somebody and discouraged them from watching it with a friend, for I do feel that the film serves itself best viewed in complete isolation with an intent focus on all of its details. I also recommended this viewing experience for I do believe that with a friend, one might find themselves pondering the film’s intent before its conclusion, a fruitless experience in my opinion. I say this not because I feel viewing the film in this way would enrich the themes of interiority and isolation, but mostly because the film has long stretches where focus and concentration could very easily wane and a brief chat could rear its head swiftly. More on that matter of the film later.

Jessie Buckley is our young woman and imbues her role with a heart and complexity that it technically shouldn’t have. Not to unravel the film’s conceit, but her character in the hands of a different writer and actress could have turned into a rather two-dimensional portrayal of a "perfect woman". But, this is not what Kaufman’s interested in and this is mainly where Kaufman’s film separates itself from the book of the same name written by Ian Reid, from which it is based on. Kaufman has taken huge liberties with the film from its source text and has, in many ways, nearly committed to a full adaptation in the like of his earlier Adaptation. Jess Plemons continues his run of vastly underrated work in a career that I feel will prosper immensely from this film and hopefully will become one of our new great actors. It is with great trepidation that I compare Plemons work in this film to the legendary Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I feel that the tenderness, awkwardness and deeply felt humanity that we view here is on par and is of the same feeling of Hoffman’s work. Toni Collette and David Thewlis steal the show in an extended dinner party sequence of the film, with humour and pain boundless. This is also the part of the film where I find Kaufman’s dialogue to be most rich and interesting; whereas, in later scenes, it devolves into slightly indulgent meditations on film, critics and the like. It is in this scene where the work is at its most humorous and prophetic, chiefly without trying to be.  
I'm Thinking of Ending Things review: Charlie Kaufman film is profoundly  laborious | Entertainment News,The Indian Express
credit

The film takes the rather pulp novel - which explains most everything in its twisting and turning narrative - and removes all of the explanation. Hence, I feel that for the book viewers they might feel as if the adaptation was simply a surface level and artistic lifting of the novel's framework, rather than a worthy adaptation of the book. I feel that the film, in lifting certain plot elements, leads to a more divisive but also more intriguing viewing experience. 

The visual aspects of the film (for the most part) are simply stunning with Lukasz Zal's cinematography being nothing short of sublime. The film fits right in with Kaufman’s directed work, where three of the films seem to be working in similar themes, all becoming psychological explorations of masculinity and isolated men’s relationship with love. I'm Thinking of Ending Things takes this exploration into a world of pop culture with an abundance of lifted references and whole sections of films and reviews that lend to the film’s overwhelmingly literary angle. For someone who understood most of these references, the choices were still confusing and left me bewildered as they were occurring. For someone who doesn’t get these references (especially those to A Woman Under the Influence), I have no doubt that they will immediately shut off from the film. It is in these sections and other fleeting conversations, such as arguments on political correctness and the true nature of ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’, where the film feels to be at its least cohesive and rather jumbled. However, these scenes do happen to be written by one of the great genius writers of our time and so they are still wickedly entertaining and exceptionally written. Still, their purpose and placement does lead to much pondering during (and after) the film.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things First Look – /Film
credit

The film is truly excellent in so many ways, but I cannot simply ignore the long stretches of tedium that may be completely purposeful, yet ultimately do nothing but infuriate the viewer and leave them feeling detached. I can compartmentalise, however, for I do feel I have a grasp on the reasoning for these scenes and in the grand scheme of things, they do service aspects of the film’s themes and plot (if you can use the word). But of recent, I have been viewing, by chance, many works that feature an aspect of endurance and no matter how purposeful such a device is, it is never enjoyable for the audience. Although ‘enjoyable’ doesn’t feel the right word to use in this instance, I think the point still stands. Perhaps intriguing or its synonyms would fit better. On this theme of intentional endurance and liminal space, I refer to the many complaints I have heard about the third act of The Irishman, where, with spoilers removed, we follow a character as he plans to take his friend somewhere. Here, Scorsese stretches out every moment with an abundance of establishing shots taking us on the laborious journey step by step. Irishman and I'm Thinking of Ending Things both have such endurance-based sequences. I understand the reasoning for both and yet, with Irishman, the sequence never feels slow, nor tedious. The sequence is wrapped in tension and melancholy and, although I'm Thinking of Ending Things has enough melancholy to go around, it doesn’t lead to the sequence actually being interesting to watch and more so feels as if nothing would be lost if it were an audio book. For a director whose use of the visual medium has been so keen in his previous works, this film takes long stretches of its run time to ignore the incredible visual nature of its other scenes. For the entirety of this last paragraph I have refused to utter the word ‘bored’, but if I were to be more frugal with my words, it could possibly be used in describing certain stretches of the film.

-

A desperately befuddling 7/10 that I have no doubt will hop up another point within the year, but I cannot deny my infuriation with certain aspects of the film, no matter how purposeful. In many ways, one could say that the four leads elevate rather soulless material, but I feel that this film holds more soul than many. It’s just a far darker aspect of the soul that we’re exploring this time.

P.S. There has been much discussion about relating this with another release this month, Tenet. Although the films have sparring similarities (protagonist with no name, back and forth timelines, not easy to follow plots), I find that I'm Thinking of Ending Things is a far richer viewing experience and will be one that I return to many times over the years. I’m sure I’ll watch Tenet again, but I feel that where I'm Thinking of Ending Things will improve on a re-watch (as is the case with most of Kaufman’s work) Tenet will grow more weary with each viewing (as if the case with the unfortunate blunders of Nolan’s work).

P.P.S. In many ways, the driving sequences took me back to Twin Peaks: The Return. However, at least these two characters talked and intrigued me with the conversations. Twin Peaks: The Return was another baffling beast that I feel I will never completely love, but will also admire and enjoy parts of.

-Thomas Carruthers