We are in a very happy era to be a horror fan, when it comes to critically acclaimed more cerebral work, when it comes to pulpier low budget fare, when it comes to big budget more expansive work, and also with the work of Ti West and the continuing Scream series the return of the solid, scary and entertaining slasher. Now my love of the Scream series is no secret, however I am once again so incredibly happy to report that another entry in this series is supremely above average, when at this stage to be a little hyperbolic, the odds are majorly against them.

Credit

After the first four films having such a sure creative hand in Wes Craven directing each film and Kevin Williamson writing or touching up each entry, placing the series into four new hands was a worry, however the exact sort of breath of fresh air that was required. The last film Scream (2022) was the perfect entry for me for what was needed and with my love of Scream 2, I can’t deny that I was possibly even more excited for Scream VI. That excitement was as such that I spent a day in Darwin, Australia, not investigating, not exploring, not taking advantage of the worldly perks of my job, but instead rushing to a cinema to see the first screening I could of this glorious new entry in the series. It was worth it. I got what I wanted in spades and although once again I did guess the killer and even the motive this time, which was slightly disappointing, I know that on re-watches (which will be plentiful) that disappointment will fade into the overall experience of the film. But this is not to say that the film does not boast a wonderful collection of other surprises that did indeed shock me, thrill me and bring me in with great excitement into this fresh new entry. The script this time, once again written by James Vanderbilt and Guy Busick is another slick and tight affair, bringing dark comedy, genuine twists and turns and an overall unflinching violence to the proceedings – despite a feeling that in certain departments punches were pulled in some ways. This entry is broader and less narratively simplistic, as was the case with the jump from Scream to Scream 2 also, but this throughout manages to be fun and knowing in it’s more bombastic nature. Whereas the script is a little sillier this time, or at least more far-fetched shall we say, that can certainly not be said regarding the direction of Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillet, who have made these Scream films look better than they have in a long time, whilst also making them directorially slicker, more stylish and far gritter and more realistic than ever before. The violence and kills of this film stick with great grit and the overall film just has a wonderfully frightening tangibility to it. Whilst also, again, balancing that with the tight rope walk of black comedy that fuels the overall piece.

Credit

Once again I am happy to report that our directors and writers have placed their confidence in the new team of those who have been newly introduced into the series and have loosened the grip on legacy characters, whilst still continuing to utilise them in effective and impactful ways. Courtney Cox and Hayden Panettiere each return and are utilised very well and do wonderful work, with Cox in one particular sequence having for me the absolute moment of the film (and maybe one of my favourite Gale moments in the entire franchise). It’s kind of around this part of the review that I once again kind of have to lay down my fan card and state how much of my objectivity is non-existent due to my overwhelming love for the franchise overall. Which is where the throwaway lines regarding Neve Campbells’ departure feel forced and awkward to me and without much care, especially compared to how everything else has been handled. Again, this is less of an issue for me due to the simple fact that I reiterate I am very happy with the new “core four” we have with Melissa Barrera (who in this film I felt was much less out of her depth and gave a far better performance), Jenna Ortega (who the film allows this time, most likely down to her worldwide immense popularity, a lot more time and thrust for), Mason Gooding (who is once again the perfect new Dewey, likable, loveable, caring – and like Dewey in other ways too) and Jasmin Savoy Brown (who is so wonderful as a new super fan figure with enough adaptations to make it fresh and different). Beyond this core four many new faces appear and are also stellar, all doing what they are asked and rising above the tropes they are cementing and subverting. It’s a really strong ensemble all around and all are working together and to play my cards earlier, I desperately want all of our survivors to return very soon.

 -

With yet another above 6/10 entry, with this currently sitting around 7/10 for me (possibly a completely Scream-fan blind 8/10 being a possibility in the future), the Scream series has once again solidified itself for me as by far the greatest horror franchise we have. Continuing without a bad entry and continuing with majorly above average entries for the foreseeable. The directing team of Bettinelli-Olpin and Gillet and the writing team of Vanderbilt and Busick have once again made a fresh, exciting, scary, funny, thrilling and deeply entertaining entry in this continuing series – whilst managing ONCE AGAIN to make new developments character wise, narrative wise and sequence wise. These two new films feel so wonderfully of a piece of the overall franchise whilst still feeling like a whole new era that I once again reiterate that Scream VI s most certainly the best outcome we could have ever wished for.

P.S. Keep these glorious things coming and coming, at least one a year or one every two years for another decade at least please.

P.P.S. For all those we wish to know, current personal favourite Scream rankings after first watch of this (and also no possibility for a timely rewatch of 2022 Scream) are as follows…

1.       1. Scream 2

2.      2.  Scream

3.      3.  Scream VI

4.       4. Scream (2022)

5.      5. Scream 3

6.       6. Scream 4

-        -  Thomas Carruthers